GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,699
Threads: 115,082
Welcome to our newest member, FinleyVzg6

Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM

According to our HQ site, all members of Tri Sigma's Beta Alpha chapter are safe and accounted for. Thank goodness.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I got this from livejournal

- Two women from the Sigma Kappa chapter are injured.
- A brother from Pi Kappa Alpha was killed. (and I can see we ID'd him)
Old 02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Update on ADPi National Website (and has been posted in the ADPi forum here) - all our sisters at NIU are safe.

Keeping the community of NIU (students, faculty, alumni, and family) in my thoughts and prayers...
Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Anyone hear anything about Alpha Phi Omega's Eta Chapter Brothers?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Region III,
As you are most likely aware, there was a tragedy on the campus of Northern Illinois University today in which students were wounded, some fatally. I wanted to relay to you that to our knowledge, all of the Brothers and Pledges of Eta Chapter are safe at this time.

In their time of mourning, the Region VI Director, Rob Coop, is asking that we give them space to deal with this tragedy.When more information becomes available, including a way to lend your support to the Eta Chapter, I will let you all know. Please take care of each other in this time of shock and sadness.

In LFS,
Dawn
Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Grateful that most of the students at NIU are uninjured, and in somber memory of those killed, I have to ask when we are going to start holding these universities and other schools accountable.

When are we going to recognize that someone like this shooter, with no criminal history, can do something so evil, and allow our students and professors to take charge of their own safety?

When are we going to point out that Illinois legislators are culpable? They have removed the option for law-abiding citizens to do anything but phone 911 and wait helplessly?

When are we going to push for the right to defend ourselves, our families, our brethren? When will we INSIST on having the CHOICE to defend ourselves?

I'm disgusted at any university administration and any legislature that does not permit self-defense.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Grateful that most of the students at NIU are uninjured, and in somber memory of those killed, I have to ask when we are going to start holding these universities and other schools accountable.

When are we going to recognize that someone like this shooter, with no criminal history, can do something so evil, and allow our students and professors to take charge of their own safety?

When are we going to point out that Illinois legislators are culpable? They have removed the option for law-abiding citizens to do anything but phone 911 and wait helplessly?

When are we going to push for the right to defend ourselves, our families, our brethren? When will we INSIST on having the CHOICE to defend ourselves?

I'm disgusted at any university administration and any legislature that does not permit self-defense.
Unless you mandate everyone who carries a gun get professional weapons training, we will return to the Wild West.
And where and how do you place "limits" on what type of weapons.
Hand guns, long guns, single shot, three shot, fully automatic military style, what caliber et al ?
And even pros get into trouble.
A few weeks ago in White Plains, NY an off duty, undercover officer was disarmed during an arrest and while picking up his weapon he either disregarded or did not hear warnings from other on duty officers. He was shot and killed.
The four officers involved in the shooting were doing what they trained to do; serve and protect.
It was rush hour; hundreds of people in area.
Just as the officers on campus did. They were there within minutes. And event was over within minutes.
The students seem to have done the right thing; get out of the way and get out of building.
Just how many college students do you know who have had professional weapons training?
I know one; a Brother who was a police officer.

While in Whitefish, MT a few years ago I thought I was in Dodge City.
I saw six shooters everywhere.

This kind of argument ends up being much like argument over death penalty.

How about if we just stay on topic of event here.
We can start a new,different thread on gun laws.
As well as a thread in R/M about guns in chapter houses.

Last edited by jon1856; 02-15-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Link to School's Newspaper

Found this link on CBS New site.
For campus newspaper:
http://www.northernstar.info/
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

According to the Sigma Kappa National Website, 2 of our sisters were in fact harmed. There is a letter from the Gamma Zeta chapter posted on the main site.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

i can't believe this. it's so sad that it is not even safe to go to school
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

News updates-a few interesting ones:
Five lives full of promise ended in rampage

Young victims included Army veteran, violinist, aspiring teacher

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23186319

College shooter's deadly rampage baffles friends

Kazmierczak, 27, stopped taking meds; police search for girlfriend

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23171567

University shooter interested in 'peace and social justice'
  • <LI class=cnnHiliteHeader _extended="true">Story Highlights <LI _extended="true">NEW: Shooter was "committed student, extremely respectful," school adviser says
    <LI _extended="true">He "always paid on time, never a noise problem," ex-landlord says
    <LI _extended="true">Paper says shooter's interests included political violence, peace, social justice
    <LI _extended="true">Classroom killer shot five people to death, wounded 16 others Thursday
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/15/uni...ect/index.html<LI _extended="true"><LI _extended="true">Company: Gunman, Virginia Tech shooter used same Web dealer
    • <LI class=cnnHiliteHeader _extended="true">Story Highlights <LI _extended="true">NEW: The same company operates a Web site patronized by both gunmen
      <LI _extended="true">Three shooting victims remain in critical condition
      <LI _extended="true">Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich orders flags flown at half-staff throughout the state
      <LI _extended="true">Police chief: People close to gunman say he had become "erratic"
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/15/uni...ef=mpstoryview
Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unless you mandate everyone who carries a gun get professional weapons training, we will return to the Wild West.
And where and how do you place "limits" on what type of weapons.
Hand guns, long guns, single shot, three shot, fully automatic military style, what caliber et al ?
And even pros get into trouble.
A few weeks ago in White Plains, NY an off duty, undercover officer was disarmed during an arrest and while picking up his weapon he either disregarded or did not hear warnings from other on duty officers. He was shot and killed.
The four officers involved in the shooting were doing what they trained to do; serve and protect.
It was rush hour; hundreds of people in area.
Just as the officers on campus did. They were there within minutes. And event was over within minutes.
The students seem to have done the right thing; get out of the way and get out of building.
Just how many college students do you know who have had professional weapons training?
I know one; a Brother who was a police officer.

While in Whitefish, MT a few years ago I thought I was in Dodge City.
I saw six shooters everywhere.
Well, since the topic is "Shooting at Northern Illinois University" ......

Please - what about the "wild west" are you referring to? Bloodbaths in the streets? Oh, by the way, that's movie stuff, not history.

Who said anything about limits? Frankly, the 2nd amendment says, in part, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I didn't draw a line; the shooter used a shotgun. Any type of firearm might - note might, not would - have saved some lives.

Frankly, I know many college-age students with significantly more weapons-handling experience than many police officers I know. In my area of the country, officers are required to qualify ONCE A YEAR - between 50 and 100 rounds - and many don't fire any more than that. Most recreational shooters and CHL permittees I know fire much more than that.

One officer was disarmed. Anecdotal evidence sure is handy, isn't it?

And, one more question. How many murders or massacres did you see in Whitefish?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Tess, this is NOT the appropriate thread for the path you're trying to steer this conversation. Please have some consideration and start another thread if you want to continue your 2nd amendment rights rant.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Tess, this is NOT the appropriate thread for the path you're trying to steer this conversation. Please have some consideration and start another thread if you want to continue your 2nd amendment rights rant.
agreed.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post

THIS IS A RANT AGAINST THOSE NANNY-STATE UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATORS AND LEGISLATORS WHO WOULD MAKE STUDENTS HELPLESS. These students were SHOT, for god's sake. They could do NOTHING to help themselves. They could do NOTHING to help others. They were fish in a barrel

If you want to start a pity-party thread, go ahead. This is a news and politics forum, with a newsworthy event, and legislators who won't protect us.

Last edited by DGTess; 02-15-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: final point