GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,980
Threads: 114,108
Welcome to our newest member, asleasenls

Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Giving Incorrect Recruitment Advice

Okay folks, I've been hearing a lot from several ticked-off GCers about this and I really need to say something about it. There are some GCers who are giving incorrect recruitment advice to the point that it could harm someone's recruitment if they followed it.

Please do not give advice about a system or school you know nothing about. This includes swearing up and down that you do or don't need recs at a school you know nothing about, advising someone about informal rush, or telling someone what to wear when you actually have no clue about it except for what you've read here. In other words: if your "expertise" only comes from GC, please let women from that school or system advise the PNMs. Recently, a PNM was given extremely incorrect advice and she almost went along with it. I don't blame her for being angry.

There are some women out there who are the first from their family or crowd to try to go Greek and they come here for advice, having no other outlet. Don't mess up their dreams!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM

I really don't think people who happen to give wrong advice are doing it to intentionally "squash the dreams" of PNMs...

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see (and possibly think of an example) where this would be a problem.

I think it's one thing to say "I don't go there, but anyone will tell you to get recs at Bama," and then provide the link (in this case, to the "you need recs here," sticky or other post where someone from that schoo answered or alluded to the question. Or to specify that you have been through rush there as a PNM, and the girls were wearing such and such on skit day, but that you don't know about the other side of the process yet.

It's another to.... editorialize, and use your friend's aunt's rush at a neighboring school 25 years ago as rationale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I mean, that's pretty much golden. I think the key is to not overestimate your own knowledge.
Yup.

If you genuinely are familiar with a school, I say go for it. If you are only vaguely familiar, it may be more appropriate to PM the person asking questions and suggest contacts and sources. Otherwise, inaccurate advice is just there, in all posterity, for any future PNM searching their schools info.

Last edited by annabella; 04-21-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

i think this is a great idea. general advice, "yes, you need recs. at bama", "it's best not to put all your eggs in one basket","take a shower and brush your teeth before recruitment each day", is one thing.....but i am not going to give someone rushing at ohio university advice, because i have no idea about recruitment at that school, and i would hate to give misinformation,no matter how sincerely i was trying to help the pnm.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

i'll give you an example. in the "ready2011" thread, the op asks the general question,"if her religion will impact her ability to join or her membership experience." she is a 7th day adventist and keeps the sabbath, which for them is sundown friday to sundown saturday. i pointed out that many times initiation ceremonies are held either friday nights or saturdays. when she mentioned that she was interested in join a NPHC group, i asked her to disregard my statement, as it pertained to NPC. I have no experience in NPHC matters, and had she specified from the get-go that she was looking into NPHC organizations, i would not have responded to the thread.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i'll give you an example. in the "ready2011" thread, the op asks the general question,"if her religion will impact her ability to join or her membership experience." she is a 7th day adventist and keeps the sabbath, which for them is sundown friday to sundown saturday. i pointed out that many times initiation ceremonies are held either friday nights or saturdays. when she mentioned that she was interested in join a NPHC group, i asked her to disregard my statement, as it pertained to NPC. I have no experience in NPHC matters, and had she specified from the get-go that she was looking into NPHC organizations, i would not have responded to the thread.
And even that is a chapter-to chapter thing. My chapter always does Initiation on Sunday mornings/afternoons and I know some other chapters at UMD initiate on weeknights.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I have seen incorrect or off-the-mark info handed out on many threads by many people. Not just 1 thread and not by just 1 or 2 or 4 posters.
Well, did you call them out, or did you just sit there and say "tch, tch, tch" and let the PNM have the wrong advice? If you did the latter, you're just as guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
(especially when we don't even ask "have you checked with your campus/greek family members/older siblings?").
There have been some family members of rushees on here who straight up admitted they didn't know jack because 1) they rushed the year everyone was wearing "Nixon Now" buttons 2) they went to Teeny Noncompetitive School and little sister/brother is going to Big Scary School. Not to mention the helicopters. So sometimes the family isn't the best place to go.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
That doesn't matter. We don't like giving advice to any aspirants because the informal stuff often varies by chapter so people need to get off the damn message boards and research and interact with others. And the formal stuff is NOT meant to be discussed on a message board. Either way, any NPHC aspirant who holds their breath for a GC response and takes it that seriously is a complete idiot who will probably never become a member.

As I always say, I come here to be entertained and not informed. I may choose to give an aspirant a serious helpful response one day and tell them something completely off-base just for shits and giggles the next day. The smart aspirants won't take ANY of it seriously.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And the fault was hers for being so vague about what she was talking about. If she came out immediately and said NPHC, we all would have kept our mouths shut. I personally don't care in that instance if she was confused.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally back on subject: I read the thread about clothing at Ole Miss. It is fascinating how in different parts of the country clothing requirements differ. Here: white after Labor Day? No problem. Velvet after Valentine's Day? Why not? If ii is cold and the blue velvet blazer works....throw it on. Skirt lengths? As long as you've got good legs and the basics are covered...go for it. And its all good.

As for Church clothes? I began looking at the people who go to Church at Good Shepard (Catholic) and Bel Air Pres (where Ronald and Nancy Reagan went). Yes, there are some people who are "dressed". But most: jeans, shorts, t shirts, flipflops.

Not saying that we are "right" but that's how we roll! I will NEVER hazard a guess (except with good taste...like wear a bit of makeup) on what is appropriate in other places...except New York as well as Los Angeles. That I've got covered.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

None of that matters. If we are essentially telling them to fuck off. Back away from the keyboard.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

That's fair and why we are glad to help. Just understand that while I don't think anyone here tries to sabotage anyone's outcome, do understand that some people jump in where they don't belong. If you get an answer here to a question, wait to see if there are a variety of answers. And anything that says you don't need excellent grades, recs are unimportant or you can dress however you want should be given at least a double take. There are schools were these answers may be true, but I'd make damn sure your school is one of them before trusting it. Don't latch on to the easy answer among 50 that disagree.

And PM is your friend. If you find someone from your school, feel free to send them private messages. You can avoid some of the fire storm that way.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

NextYearSC makes a good point. Another thing is even if you have a family member familiar with the system, they might not be familiar with the way things work at your school. For example, when I decided I wanted to rush, the only greek person in my family went greek at a very small, private school with no football team, 6 sororities and only a small number of girls going through recruitment. Said family member told me I didn't need to get my own recs because at their school the sororities really did get a rec for every girl rushing witout issue. It wasn't until late June that I knew I would need to get my own for the 17 chapters at my SEC school. I think it's good (and sometimes vital) for the PNM to do their own research specific to their school, even if they have someone greek helping them out. If you're going to rush, do your own homework. If you copy someone else's it might not always be right.

That being said the information they find on their own would need to be accurate. It's kind of a big circle if you think about it.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Bump. If you are a PNM, it's a good idea not to toss out your "recruitment wisdom" like candy. There are PNMs coming to this website who are trying their best to learn what they should be doing and you aren't helping by screwing them up. You aren't Greek.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Bump again. Are you offering recruitment advice and actually, you know no more about that school or chapter than my Shih Tzu does? Then this thread is directed at you.