GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,655
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, bryanyandext392
» Online Users: 1,539
1 members and 1,538 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-21-2003, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Will my race keep me out of sororities?

Last year as an entering freshman, I decided not to do Rush for a variety of reasons, one of them being a lack of diversity in the sororities on my college campus (Washington State University). I looked in pictures on the websites and found 1 or 2 people of color in the chapter. Now that I have decided to do rush (sent in the check, bought clothes...) I'm trying to figure out if my race will affect me negatively while going through rush. I have a 3.4 GPA and I am really involved in activities on campus but I am a sophomore and a minority and I'm just thinking that I'm going into Rush with 2 strikes...can anyone offer me any advice? Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot imagine that it would hurt, nor do I think it would help. To me and a lot of the other sorority members I know it would make as much difference as whether you were blonde or brunette. If you're a enthusiastic well-rounded girl then you should definately be able to find a home in one of the sorority chapter on your campus! Good luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

what does it matter? and why would you being a person of color be a negative aspect? if you're going to think these orgs. are going to look at your skin color in a negative light...do you really believe that you should be in it anyway? what kind of mentality is that if you think that being a person of color is a "strike?"
Old 07-21-2003, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Hey, justagirl! You're fears are almost completely unfounded! The main reason that you don't see more women of color in NPC sororities, are the same fears that are trying to hold you back! We (NPC orgs in general) thrive on diversity! GO FOR IT! New faces always bring new experiences, everyone has something to offer! GOOD LUCK!

aj
Old 07-21-2003, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you

thanks a bunch for your advice...i've just heard some stuff from people and so i was a little timid but i'm all signed up i just need to figure out which clothes i'm wearing which day.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Justagirl, I'm so glad to hear that you're going for it! I wish we had more women of color in NPC sororities!! My general experience with my organization (Alpha Phi) is that our sisters are welcoming of women of all colors!

I wish you the best, and I can't wait to hear about what you're wearing!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ajuhdg
Hey, justagirl! You're fears are almost completely unfounded! The main reason that you don't see more women of color in NPC sororities, are the same fears that are trying to hold you back! We (NPC orgs in general) thrive on diversity! GO FOR IT! New faces always bring new experiences, everyone has something to offer! GOOD LUCK!

aj
Yay!! I definately agree! WSU has an awesome Greek Life and I definately agree you should go for it!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement. I had just heard things about diversity in the houses Anywho, now that I've gotten some feedback, I've decided to change this to a thread about my rush experience. I go to WSU, and we have Alpha Gamma Delta, Delta Gamma, Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Kappa, Alpha Phi, Alpha Delta Pi, Pi Beta Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Kappa Delta on campus. I will go back over on August 17th. Open house is on August 18th, the 19th is House Tours, 20th is Philanthropy Day, the 21st is Preference and the 22nd is Bid Day. I went to the Nordstrom Anniversary sale last week (I love shopping) and 2 new tops and a pref day dress. My pref day dress is pink and black in sort of a 50's style. I got black strappy sandals (that i've been practicing walking in). I need to go back and pick up a few more things, and I have some things in mind but I don't want this post to be too terribly long so I'll probably wait until someone posts after me and then continue
Old 07-22-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Woo Hoo a Washington Rush Story....

So what if it's the other side of the state from me.

Good Luck! WSU has a great system (and of course a Gamma Phi chapter). Some friends of mine are alumnae of there.

I agree with what everyone else has said about the diversity issue too.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Another Washington girl here!

Just a girl, check your Private messages!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

HAVE FUN !! and definitely don't worry about lack of diversity, if women like you (and me) never joined, there wouldn't be ANY diversity, not only in sororities but in all aspects of life. If you want a diverse chapter... add yourself to one !!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
What she said!

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
HAVE FUN !! and definitely don't worry about lack of diversity, if women like you (and me) never joined, there wouldn't be ANY diversity, not only in sororities but in all aspects of life. If you want a diverse chapter... add yourself to one !!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

hurray!!!! you have a great bunch of groups to choose from. best of luck with rush....and we will be waiting for updates!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Hi Justagirl06,

Welcome to GC & I'm glad you decided to rush. To be honest, I like you looked at all of the GLO websites at the 2 nearest 4 year schools near me w/ Greek systems.

Since I've attended / graduated from my alma mater in 91/92, I've noticed an increase in diversity in the NPC GLOs; & ditto what several have already posted.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

No one should be judged by the color of their skin. Period.
The way I see it, having a very diverse house is a plus!