View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering to Rush Again

Hey everyone!!! Even though I rushed during the spring and did not receive a bid, it has not stopped me to try again in the fall. My only concern is if rushing again is frowned upon. In addition, I would like to know if I made any mistake that might’ve caused me not to receive a bid and learn from them so it doesn’t happen again.

Even though I was not planning to rush in the spring because of Rugby commitments, a floor mate of mine who was rushing Pi Kappa Alpha (who got a bid) convinced me to give Greek Life a shot and rush. After attending the “Meet the Greeks” fair prior to the start of Open Rush, I decided learn more about Greek Life and attend rush events to four fraternities I felt I could fit in.

Open Rush was enjoyable because I met some extraordinary people and even made some new friends who share my same interests. To get a better feel of each chapter, I spoke to as many members as I can, introducing myself with a firm handshake, asking questions like “Why did you decide to pledge this chapter?”, “What are some of the charity and community service activities you guys do?”, chapter ideals, even praising the mottos after doing some research, and other stuff to get to know them. Some conversations lasted for 15 minutes to a point where they encouraged me to meet more members. They were supposed to last five minutes. I ended each conversation saying like “John, it was pleasure to meet you and I hope I’ll you again at Closed Rush.” A friend told me I was “socializing a storm” because I was talking with people well after Open Rush ended with all recruits returning home.

There was one problem and that same friend realized this before Closed Rush invitations were sent out. Since I did not attend many open parties because the Rugby house hosts their own events, fraternities may not be familiar with me since I know on average three members per chapter of the ones I rushed. He was right since I only got one Closed Rush invite to Delta Chi. He was even shocked that I did not get an invitation to the fraternity he got a bid in.

Closed Rush consisted an interview, free food, and extra time to meet the more chapter members. Sadly, I came down with the flu earlier that morning, but I made no excuses and attended the event. The interview was, I think, my downfall because my voice was hoarse. There was also a question that said “Who was the greatest influence in your life?” “Even though he’s a controversial figure,” I responded, “it would be Joe Paterno.” I spoke about his Success with Honor motto and how it molded into the individual I became today. Since I am terrible at lying, I figured it’ll be best to be myself. However, I knew my chances were done after that final question.

Even though I did not get a bid, I was actually a sign of relief since my workload was too heavy and the pledge process would have tumbled my GPA. Most of my friends were unhappy that I did not get a bid and one sent me a website link and told me to consider rushing again. After reading the website, I realized Greek Life is the right fit for me because of the brotherhood, leadership opportunities, social events, and legacy – different components under one roof. The legacy aspect is what inspired me to give it a second shot because alumni are the people who helped make the chapter stronger. Since one of my goals in college is to make a positive impact to the people surrounding me, I figured rushing fraternities that share my interests would be the right thing to do because of that. When I think about the legacy and honor that revolves around the fraternities, it inspires me to join one so I can build on that legacy that would inspire brothers past, present and future in a positive way.

Finally, is rushing fraternities again looked down upon? Are there any mistakes mentioned above that hurt my chances the first time so I can learn from them and not repeat them again? I know this is a long forum post, but I have a few final questions.

1. What are some aspects fraternities are looking for in new members that I have not mentioned above?
2. Are there any other questions I can ask during rush?
3. I want to get started early so I can build (and rebuild) my connections to show my interest and get to know fraternities members more before fall rush. How can I do that? Should I contact the Rush Chair or President?