View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eswizzle View Post
Hi! I have posted on this site before and have one last burning/concerning question. I have seen many posts about this before but want to know the specifics. One of my past sisters dropped/resigned from our sorority in her third year to sign up for formal recruitment the following semester. She was able to contact other orgs on our campus for COB/informal but decided the one that she wanted was not open for COB. So she signed up for recruitment and had no problems signing up and has not been caught thus far. To my understanding, I know that this is "illegal" or not recommended. But at my university, they seem to be slack on checking names in the system because many other girls have done this when a chapter closed at my school. I am concerned for this sister and want to see what would happen/logistics to this plan of re-rushing. Thank you!

Is your sorority a member of NPC? Is the second sorority your friend tried to join also an NPC sorority? If so, this story does not sound plausible. If your friend did that, then it would be an extremely tasteless and inappropriate thing to do. The other sororities on campus surely know that she is already a member, right?

Make no mistake - as my sister Sciencewoman said, a woman initiated into an NPC organization may NEVER initiate into another one. This includes re-rushing at her current campus or trying to re-rush at a different university. If a woman is caught doing this, and she likely will, she will lose her membership in the second ("new") sorority and probably her first sorority as well. This is not an urban legend or a scare tactic. I know first-hand of a situation exactly like that just this year - a young woman re-rushed at another campus and joined a different sorority. The second sorority was displeased to learn the woman they initiated was already an initiated member of another NPC sorority at a different campus. The woman's membership was promptly revoked. It was a very sad situation.

I am very sorry that you are experiencing struggles with your current chapter. It would be in your best interest to try and make the best of your current situation.

Wishing you the best.

True and Constant