View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Probably commonality of ideals, opportunity and lack of chapter overlap. I. E. ASA and AST would never merge because we have chapters at so many of the same schools. It wouldn't help either of us with size issues.
That is eactly right. When I read the Baird's it pretty much stay sfactual and doesn't say too much about why certain groups merge, but it does tell that they "have the same mission, pupose, goals, etc, etc" and not having too much chapter overlap is definitely a factor. It is also a mutual decision I beleive. Either XYZ and ABC decide to merge or perhaps, ABC realizes that they are not doing well for one reason or other and seeks out another group to abosrb them. Or possibly XYZ sees that ABC is a great sorority and they have the similar ideals, but for whatever reason ABC is having a hard time with growth, offers to absorb them. I don't think of it as a hostile take over or anything! I am sure some alumnae might not like it, you can't make everybody like everything. But it is a mutual decision.