View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Things will never change if the people who DO want something other than a hookup fest (like maybe meeting new friends of the opposite sex - wow what a wild concept) continually avoid mixers. Be the change you want to see. Plus this isn't about men & women- it's about honoring a commitment.
Not trying to pick a fight here, but the use of that phrase in this context brings the lolz. Mixers are serious business, folks.

Honestly, though, I don't see how joining a sorority constitutes committing to drinking in a basement with the bros* for the next four years, regardless of whether you feel like it or not. The responsibilities I pledged to uphold did not include partying with fraternity men so that other greeks would like us more. I joined a sorority to make friends (both male and female) and gain leadership experience. I did both, I guess in spite of my decision to skip some mixers and instead spend time doing things I found more enjoyable. I have absolutely no beef with the sisters who did like to go - more power to 'em. But the one-size-fits-all model of what it means to be a "good" sister who "honors her commitments" doesn't work on all campuses and in all chapters. And frankly, I'm not impressed the criteria being chosen in this thread for what constitutes a valuable member of a sorority.

*Yes, I realize that's not what constitutes a mixer on all campuses, but that's essentially what it was where I went to college.