View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
oh, and aparently the president of the university and many higher up officials of the school are the ones who are most eager to see a growth in the greek community, and our greek advisor is trying to set in motion what they want to see. cool to know that our administration is becoming more tolerant, if not excited about the greek organizations.
honestly, i think the administration is for it for a few reasons:
* get more students involved in extracurricular activities
* see a tad more school spirit and student involvement in school-related functions that greeks participate in (intramurals, attendance at football games, participation in homecoming festivities, etc)
* they want more than anything to have that "big school" atmosphere of UT-Austin / A&M / Tech (this has been pretty obvious in everything they do since I transferred here 2.5 yrs ago)
*more $$ for them - if we expand enough to build another sorority row behind the one we have right now, that means they get more $$ from the chapters housed there b/c it's their land, and their structures.

I could be completely wrong, but aren't the fraternities on our campus housed on their own land and paid for their own houses? That's something the sororities don't do.. we're on the school property and the school contracted to have the houses built... while each sorority had to pay for the "insides" of the house, the school got the money for the actual structures.

ETA: rereading this post of mine made me feel it was a little negative. I think it would be great to expand the sorority system, because it would add a wealth of things to the university, but I just don't think doing it that quickly is the way to go about it. Thats just my personal opinion though. We only raised total a semester ago, and I think instead of bringing on 4 more sororities in the next few years without waiting to see if the system will be stable would be a disaster. In addition to just raising total a semester ago, we lost a sorority chapter a few years ago as well (3 years ago? lyrica can probably correct me if I'm wrong).

=so= I didn't mean to sound all negative, but sadly, the negative reasons are more than likely true.

Last edited by texas*princess; 11-02-2004 at 09:31 AM.