View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Formal

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
First of all, congrats!

I don't really understand, though, how this is formal recruitment. Other than the fact that bids are all given out on the same day, there doesn't sem o be much structure. Do guys visit every house? Are events by invitation?
First to answer the easy questions... Guys dont have to visite every house. I wish they woul don their own tho. Compare us to anyone else on campus and I can out sell them. I believe, comparatively, we have the best program to offer. Each chapter has to bust its ass to educate the campus as a whole about its events. THe school publishes this info in its Greek Life Guide, and each chapter puts a schedule on its recruitment tables in the quad. Events are open, non-invite and usually range from paintball to football games, to poker nites, to miniture golf to pool tourneys. Each chapter generally has the same events year to year and its kind of understoof that you dont screw with anothers event. Example: The TKE's big event is a BBQ nite at the best BBQ joint on the planet. Damn I wish we wouldda thought of that, but we didnt, so we wouldnt dare have an event there later int he week. Thats uncool. so we all do different events. Many of the chapters have a Pref Dinner, which is by invite only. Thats about the only yhing thats invite only... and its dont the last night of recruitment.

hahah...compared to the ladies, I dont think guys really have formal recruitment.. at all. It all depends on your defination of formal recruitment. Its split half and half across the nation. Some schools have a very formalized period of recruitment, where PNM's have to fill our applications, attend convocations, and get stamps ina book for houses visited. While this is very fair to all houses, the trend nationally has been to move away from this type of process. The college student is becoming less traditional, and many of them often have to work to support themselves in college. So often its not practical to ask a PNM to be able to take half a week off from work to visit houses, etc. So many schools, recognizing this are no longer requiring such a structured process, to make it easier on PNMs to schedule around. THe downside of that is that it puts mmuch more responsibility on the chapters to get off their asses and get out there, since they are no longer guranteed visits. That in turn often hurts the smaller chapters. So its a double edged sword..do you sacrifice fewer PNMs for equality, or do you put the responsiblity on the chapters themselves and give them more controll but with more PNM's? I dont know that we know the answer.

Many other schools, (mine included) rely on a less structured system. The school holds a meeting for interested PNM"s, and educates them on chapters and the process. All chapters agree to have events from Wednesday to sunday. On Sunday night/Monday morning, we are all on silence, no-contact while the PNM's are evaluatying their options. THen on Monday bid drop. THe schools only involvment is the intital meeting, bid drop and coordinating rush monitors to ensure that their are no violations of the recruitment by-laws. Thats about it.

I honestly cant say which system is better.

Last edited by lifesaver; 09-11-2002 at 02:24 PM.