View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=ASTalumna06;2129835]

AST also has A LOT of chapters in PA. I think nearly a third of our chapters are located in the state.

I agree, AST is at a lot of PA schools. I think this makes sense though because both of our sororities were once Association of Education sororities and therefore both would be at schools that were once teacher colleges (i.e. many Pennsylvania schools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But mostly I'd like to see us back at all 12 of the Big 10 schools. (It's 12 now, right?) We have been at all of them at one time or another.
It's 12 now. And Alpha Xi is already at Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Iowa, and University of Nebraska- Lincoln. There's just U of Minnesota- Twin Cities, U of Wisconsin- Madison, Michigan State, Michigan, and Northwestern to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I'm not sure that any organizations really have a "stronghold" in CA based on TriDeltSallie's example of Chi Omega in Arkansas. There are a lot of organizations with many strong chapters in California, and you can't just compare 10 chapters in CA to 10 chapters in Georgia - the populations and number of universities are very different for those states. You really need to consider density vs. raw numbers.

ETA: For Example, Alpha Phi has 23 chapters in California (DG has 19, Theta and Gamma Phi each have 18, etc.). Now compare that to Phi Mu's 10 chapters in the state of Louisiana, when the next most prolific organizations have 4 chapters each.

Then you also have to take into consideration the prestige and size of the University, the strength/size/prestige of the overall Greek life at the University, and the strength of the chapter at that University. I think it's very misleading for us to look at a map and declare strongholds without really knowing the situation in that area.

Anyway, Greek life isn't the same in California as it is in the South. It's not as big a deal post-graduation, and which organization you were a member of will have very little influence on your career or social standing in your community (aside from the obvious alumnae connections and leadership skills developed, but that's different from influence/reputation based soley on WHICH organization you joined).
Agree to all of this. That's why I struggle with saying that PA is a 'stronghold' for Sigma, because being Greek here just isn't the same as being Greek in the South, especially after college, IMO.

Last edited by psusue; 03-04-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Apparently I cannot count.