View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
I think you should take the time to really think about why you are still in the organization. You don't do as much as you have done for an organization and not know with utmost confidence why you are still and active member.

Anyway, I've been in your shoes before. I am a black alumnus of a primarily white organization. There have been plenty of tough moments, just like there are in any situation when we're the minority. What's kept me an active undergrad and an active alumnus is the fact that I believe in the Fraternity's mission and ideals. Similar to you, I eventually saw an opportunity where I could leave my mark on the organization and improve it. I've also made great friends and great connections. It's also been incredibly rewarding to advise my undergraduate chapter and see them grow as men and as a chapter.

I've also been able to educate my Brothers about minority issues. I am a gay black man and I have lived a very different life than many of my Brothers. Many of them are better people because of my association with them. I've also been able to learn a lot more from my other Brothers from different marginalized backgrounds.

I won't be the one to tell you that you need to stay active. In fact, I'm not one to encourage people to stay anywhere they don't feel comfortable or happy. When I have undergrad members that are considering quitting, I don't push them in any direction because I have no interest in "selling" the organization to active members. Maybe it isn't for you. But maybe it is. Only you will know that.

I'm sorry this isn't the greatest "advice," but it really is on you. I can't imagine you don't see value in the organization as a former President or Recruitment Chair. I challenge you to sit down and really organize your thoughts and why you have been in the organization up until this point.

I'm having trouble nailing down my thoughts here, but feel free to shoot me a direct message. My thoughts would probably flow better as a conversation, not just a standalone post in a thread.
I'll message you