View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Friend, welcome back from the Sunken Place. We've been waiting for you.

lol jk. I am not in a "white" fraternity, but my good friend is and I have shared his post with you in hopes that he either comments or messages you directly.

Since I am not in your kind of fraternity, I can't give you perfect advice. But as a college-educated (PWI) black man, I empathize with you. I went to college with several black folks for whom it took a while to get woke. The important thing is THAT they got woke, not WHEN they got woke.

There will be some tension moving forward in terms of whether you really feel like your fraternity is addressing issues of structural racism and inequality on a timely pace. It will be up to you to decide whether to stay and fight (for you and for your successors) or whether you should move on.

If it were me, I wouldn't give up on the fraternity. As a man, you made an obligation and you should stick with it. And being a member truly won't limit you. (Unless you wanted to join an NPHC fraternity, in which case that door is closed to you.) But there are plenty of other men who have been in your position. You won't find them if you disappear into the ether.