View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I listened to the whole thing the other day. The administrators kept bringing up the idea of simply eliminating the greek system altogether. Cornell's solution is not something I'm a fan of. Doing that basically makes us the same as Circle K. Hazing can be eradicated in an organization if you have the right kind of organizational culture. Also, it doesn't hurt to have trained alumni volunteers around.

As MC said, I agree that proper supervision and oversight and the removal of alcohol from the equation are what needs to happen.
Actually, I got the sense that's what they're talking about at Cornell, which hasn't really been decided yet. He kept saying "eliminating pledging as we know it." I took that to mean not eliminating pledging itself, but eliminating the correlation between pledging and hazing. We'll just have to see when they make their decision.

There was one thing I kept wishing someone would say: They rightfully talked about hazing in other groups, but when the suggestions of eliminatingt the Greek system came up, I really wanted someone to say "There's no reason to consider that unless we're also going to consider eliminating the athletic teams, the marching band . . . ."