View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Graduated GDI dating Sorority Girl

Hey everyone!

I was a guy that was always on the fence about Greek Life, but ended up deciding not to do it throughout my four years of college. Things just got busy for me, plus I couldn't afford to at my undergrad school. Nothing against it, it's just something that slipped through the cracks on time commitment for me. (Two jobs, leading another organization, needing time to focus on studies!)
However, I'm about to start my new job and my mastersat a smaller school in the same area (around 40 minutes away) as the big four year school I attended and got my Undergrad, I'm currently dating a girl a little younger than me who is actively involved in her sorority, but still says she's very committed to me. I know this for a fact, as I'm very committed to her as well!

The situation I find myself in is during the infamous time of work week and recruitment, it's something that is taken seriously here, and while it is somewhat possible to see her during Work Week, she's not allowed to leave the house for 8 days for formal recruitment, until Bid Day activities are over.

I understand that rules are rules, and especially that we both will be busy as well. Accepting a graduate assistant spot in athletics is never easy in the late summer/early fall, and classes on top of that aren't fun either. For her, and really everyone else that's working on rush, it's a pretty big deal at this school.

However, she reassures me things will be back to normal eventually. Granted yes, we spent all summer with each other, stayed with each other almost every night, and traveled as much as we could. To say we were spoiled is an understatement sometimes. So I'm not expecting for her to stay with me every night when classes start, but I worry that while she says "It's only a week", I just don't want our connection to go away and die down because she gets so close to her chapter, and forgetting about me after classes start. Plus, we had plans for a few nights, since typically work week finishes a little early in the evening. However the recruitment chair had other plans, making things a little more intense for the chapter and thus, cancelling plans out for us, leaving me feeling a little eh. Once again, I'm not greek, but I understand the time and commitment it takes for a brotherhood and sisterhood.

That also being said, a relationship is one of the most special things that two people can have with each other, and if one party isn't putting in that much work for it, it can be a little mind-boggling. We try to communicate as much as we can, we're passionate for each other, and we see ourselves doing big things not on our own, but also together someday. It does kinda make me worried I don't hear from her for awhile, and that she's enjoying all of this rather than spending a little time with me.

Another situation I forgot to mention is that after recruitment is over, my schedule becomes very intense with being practically an assistant to an assistant athletic director for a few sports at our school.

I want her to be happy and take it all in, I really do! That also said, even after recruitment is all over, I just don't want our deep connection to be replaced by her sisters, and date nights get ditched for frat nights that I can't really be apart of, or time alone turns into study breaks with three other girls. Some of it is crazy, and I may be overthinking.

I'm just wondering, what can I do to make sure that I make the connection well with her, even on the Greek standpoint. Once again, I know I wasn't in a fraternity myself, but I don't want her to think I'm not oblivious to what's going on either.
They do good things here at this campus, but competing with everyone else is always going to be giving me some anxious thoughts. We trust and love each other very much, but my anxious thoughts sometimes take over when it should not.

Long story short, what do I do to not feel replaced? I support her and her sorority very much, but I also want to keep the love going very strong too!

Last edited by geedeamonggreek; 08-13-2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Additions