View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotpink46 View Post
I am currently a second semester freshman and I definitely want to rush next semester as a sophomore. I've had a hard time getting used to college and my first semester GPA put me on probation. I'm trying to get myself back on track and this semester I hope to get a 2.3 Overall though my cumulative GPA isn't great and I know that sororities definitely look at that during recruitment. I am taking one course over the summer but that can't boost my GPA.

I was always a good student in high school and involved in lots of activities. In college though, I'm struggling and am only involved in equestrian club.
I regret not joining a sorority this fall and since then I have been waiting and looking forward to rush. I have to say ZTA is by far my favorite chapter on campus. Is there any chance I could get into ZTA or any chapter for that matter with my GPA as it is? I don't want to wait until junior year because I'll miss out on a whole year and I really want to get involved more than anything. Basically what are my chances with my current GPA and recruitment in the fall?

By the way I go to James Madison University in Virginia

1) Not to be blunt... but, if a 2.3 is the best you can do without any other distractions, I think you should focus more on getting yourself back on track academically before you even consider Greek Life...'cause that is why you are in college in the first place.

Being in a sorority takes a lot of time... especially the first year or so. If you can't do any better than a 2.3 without those distractions, I question how well you will do in the next few years.

2) I wouldn't keep your heart set on any one sorority going into recruitment. If you put all your eggs in one basket and they cut you for grades... well... that doesn't get you anywhere, does it?

3) If you are SERIOUS about wanting to boost your GPA, I would highly recommend re-taking your lowest classes during the summer to bring it up. Even if a 2.3 is the minimum at your school in order to rush, chapters have minimums of their own and if you don't do anything about your GPA, you may get cut pretty hard after the first round.

4) No one on GC can tell you what your "chances" are. We don't know you. If you just want a bunch of people to blow sunshine and tell you that a 2.3 is awesome and that you are brillant and you would be an asset to ANY chapter there, well, the chances of that happening don't look so good.