View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Rush should mostly be conducted during the spring of the year for high school seniors, and during the summer too. The NM arrives on campus wearing a pledge pin, lives and eats in the house, and has an instant support group of members and fellow pledges.
Just to let you know this would not be feasible for NPC sororities as high school students are not permitted to bind themselves in any way to a sorority. I'm not sure that fraternities can "officially" do that either. And as Taualumna pointed out above, the students who are local to the college have an unfair advantage.

I think that this type of thing would give the members incredibly bad tunnel vision. They would know no other way to be at college than being Greek. How do you relate to non-Greeks if that is the case? Then again, at a large (30,000 people) school you probably have a smaller group of friends period than at a small (3,000 people) school - at least that's been my observation with my friends who went to smaller schools and those who went to Penn State.

I agree with loggertheta - if rush at my school had been "pre freshman year or nothing" I don't think I would have done it, and if I had I would have made really disastrous choices. I know it works out well for some people that rush as soon as they get to school, but the problem is that it becomes MANDATORY to do that. It leaves out the people who aren't already socially poised and independent and sure of themselves - things that are often attained after being on your own at college for a while.

Jena, look at why the spring rush was smaller - was the change not publicized? Was it over winter break, or during a time that conflicted with drop/add of classes and such? It can work fine if everyone doesn't moan about it and assume it will be terrible. Also do not have the ridiculous "silence all semester" stuff - the first semester should be for the freshmen to get to know the sorority women outside of riush parties.