View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVGORD View Post
@SWTXBelle.

From that same article:

"The rejection of a seemingly qualified student can be the result of many factors: lack of depth or accomplishment in extracurricular activities; failure to demonstrate leadership ability; a lack of challenging AP, IB or Honors courses; a sloppy admissions essay; and more. Also, out-of-state applicants will face a higher admissions bar than Texas students."

Again, t's hard getting into UT and greek minded kids are going elsewhere because of it.
No one has claimed it is easy to get into UT; we've just pointed out that not being admitted to UT does not merit snarky comments about them not being Texas' finest. There are a number of factors that might contribute to a qualified student's decision to attend another school. Having taught at a highly regarded private school in Houston, I've been able to see what a variety of students consider when choosing amongst various colleges. Sometimes it is a mature decision based on criteria we would applaud; sometimes it's whether or not the campus gets snow.

ETA - The young women for whom I've written recs to Bama, U of GA, U of OK, etc. have been exceptional. Complete packages - grades, service, leadership, looks, and no problem with money. I'd gladly claim them as among Texas' finest.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 08-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.