View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomanadaxo View Post
My campus is semi-known for having a lot of secret societies, especially for our size. We have at least 4 major ones that are "active," and probably more that are just more successful at keeping their society an actual secret. I was talking to a friend of mine about Greeks being in secret societies. Her org. does not allow collegiate members to be members of secret societies because there could potentially be a conflict of interest. Mine, to my knowledge, does not have any such policy. I can see both sides as having pros/cons.

So I'm curious about your thoughts on this. Were secret societies popular on your campus? Did you have brothers/sisters in them? Do you think membership in this type of organization could cause a conflict of interest?
I feel like a Greek letter organization which forbids its members from belonging to secret societies needs to read up on the Greek movement in general. Neither of my organizations forbid it and I would have a major problem if they did.

My campus has at least two secret societies for men and at least one for women. The latter was SO SECRET that I didn't know it existed until this past summer when I was visiting with a friend and APO brother who was a member.

The organizations which exist(ed) on my campus basically believe in service and/or philanthropy "in stealth." As far as the group for women, they are SO STEALTHY that there are some projects on campus which people assume to have been performed by the men. As my friend told me "Come on -- do you really think boys could do that?"

In the early to mid-1990s, there was some controversy (to say the least) about whether my APO chapter had been used as a breeding ground for members of one of the male secret societies. There were campus editorials, threats of lawsuits, and more. We eventually got over it, but there are still hurt feelings about it to this day.

I am not a member of a secret society, but I don't knock the hustle.