View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, but I think my MIL story may just take the cake. My MIL never liked me or my family and never really gave me a reason, either. When my husband and I got married we were given a family house as a "gift." I was 100% against the idea. They wanted to keep the house in the family because it was the grandparent's house and grama died and grampa was in a home but they couldn't bear to sell it. So they asked us to live there and become "caretakers of the estate" where we didn't pay rent or mortgage but we paid upkeep, repairs, utilities, insurance, to the tune of $800/month.

Well, my husband who is in the Army gets deployed. As soon as he leaves, MIL tells me I had 3 weeks to be out of the house. She listed the house on the market and it sold within 5 days. I had to call the American Red Cross to track down my husband and I asked him what to do- our lives had been in this house for years. I got out of there in time and never looked back, nor have I spoken to my in laws since. They all turned on me and never gave me a reason other than "they don't think we are right for each other." My husband took my side and refuses to speak to his family. His mom wrote to him for awhile and he just sent the letters back. It's sad that it came to this but at the same time it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from both of us. I doubt I will ever see MIL again, I know he will never speak to her again, and if we have children, it's sad, but they will never know their father's family. Sad story but sometimes in laws can be like that.