Thread: A few questions
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

The term "average fraternity" is pretty broad and can vary so much from school to school. My oldest son attends a southern university that has right at 20,000 students and 14 IFC fraternities. Chapter memberships typically range from about 35 brothers up to almost 100. Several fall into the 50-60 member range. My son has several former classmates at Valdosta State which has about 12,000 students, and again, fraternities of various sizes. I know of one that has about 35 brothers and another that has over 60. (I also have a good friend whose son just pledged at the University of Georgia and his Fall 2011 pledge class alone has almost 50 young men!)

As Knight Shadow said, just check out the individual chapters at your school when you rush. You can also visit their websites. Many have member listings that are open to public view and you may be able to see a headcount there.

As for sophomore status being a negative, again, it depends on the school. I do know guys who have rushed and pledged strong chapters as sophomores, and doing so does not seem to be as difficult as it can be for sophomore girls participating in sorority recruitment. Fraternities are not limited by quotas like sororities are, so that can help. STILL, and sorry to keep saying it, but it does depend on your school and its Greek culture.

The major criteria to getting a bid is whether the fraternity members consider you to be a good addition to their brotherhood. Be open to learning about all the chapters and finding the right fit -- and think about what you have to bring to the table. Good luck with recruitment!