View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatheles View Post
For those with their "stabby" tendencies out, Seven Sisters schools have strict rules against fraternization. They started in the early part of the 1900's when the "societies" as they were called there, began to gain too much power and control over student government and involvement in campus life. They were essentially outlawed, and in many cases "orgs" now have to follow even more strict rules.

Yes, the women from my college are my sisters. I have great connections to them and will for the rest of my life. But, I am now in a new city far from the majority of my former classmates.

I find myself in a Southern city, where even at my age, sorority affiliations are key to the social stratification. Have you ever moved to a new place as an adult? It is very difficult to approach and meet new people. Scratch that it is near impossible.

Furthermore, I never said I was trying to relive my college years. I actually took a year off my senior year because I realized I had lost my passion for what I was doing (after a family tragedy). I went back and finished what I started. Now, I found something I love (a new career field) and I am trying to change directions.

I didn't make mistakes. Not the kind you are thinking of at least. I was a non-traditional student. I went to college at 26, after having dropped out of high school due to financial difficulties and needing to work full-time. I was a straight A student at the time. I thought that my family's problems would never allow me the luxury of going to college. I spent 9 years raising the money to put myself through school.

What do I have to offer?
16 years of real-life working experience, I have suffered loss, illness, and happiness, I have a very successful career in which I worked very hard to prove myself (STEM), and a few short years ago, I was named one of the top 50 students in the country based off my grades, community involvement, the innovative service projects I created for my fellow classmates, and for my lecture series at a community college on how hard work and determination can change. I compiled all the information for transfer students and non-traditional students at the college I was at on how to transfer to a top tier University from a community college, and which ones offered scholarships with requirements and recent fin aid package amounts to help students see that opportunities were still there. The results you ask? I attended a community college in a low socio-economic area of Chicago where less than 35% of students even graduated, and the highest degree by an alum was a Master's. In my graduating class, 3 students will be conferred law degrees this Spring, and one just started at a Dental College. In the class after me, one student went on to Harvard and another to the Business School at Georgetown. I'd like to think I inspired those students, but I don't have to, they regularly send me e-mails, cards, and messages that tell me how much of a difference I made in their lives.

If you ask me, I would say you are the ones who have your priorities wrong. If it's a lifelong commitment then why are you the ones constantly referring back to college? I am the one who wants to join after college, missing out on the "fun" stuff that you all do in college like bid day and big/little, and I want to do is join a group where I can be of service, where I can be respected as an equal, where I can meet women of all ages who can serve as friends and mentors. And, if I'm the one acting entitled, why does the term "Seven Sister" bother you so much?

Yes, I'm aware it's a different situation as an Alum and as an AI. I've belonged in several organizations in the past, and I have even created my own ways to give back to my local communities regularly. But, I'm in a new place, and I miss having a Sisterhood. Making connections with people is not at all easy as an adult because most people here are from the area and have friends they have known their whole lives.

I feel that as a woman who has come as far as I have, it is a logical move to want to become an AI initiate. I have worked hard in my life to accomplish many things that you women take for granted. I am very grateful for the opportunities that I have been given and I feel the desire to give back in the same way.

All I can say ladies, way to keep the Hollywood sorority stereotypes alive.
Have you looked at joining Beta Sigma Phi? That would seem far more logical to me than seeking AI.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.