View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPalmTree View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the point of recs? On my school website, it says they are not necessary and we will not be penalized if you don't have them. Yet, on here, it says my school is a place where we absolutely positively need them. Thankfully, I've already gotten recs for almost every sorority, but I was just wondering WHY we need them? Do they help us not get cut or something?
The purpose of a rec is for the chapter to get to know a little about a PNM before recruitment. Sounds simple and non-controversial.

You go to a competitive school. Almost every PNM has recs from alumnae so chapters know how wonderful they are before recruitment.

NPC has devised a system where each chapter is asked to invite back a certain number of women for each round to maximize the number of women placed (RFM). Some chapters are forced to make steep cuts after the first round. Say 1,000 women are going through and a chapter has to cut 500 after round 1. All they have to go on is twenty-ish minutes of conversation time---and a rec---if you don't already know women in the chapter. Chapters like this have to hunt for a reason to cut PNMs sometimes. Maybe they don't consciously decide to cut all PNMs without a rec, but in the case of two PNMs with similar stats and similar quality conversations, only one has a rec, and the other doesn't, who will get cut? That's right, the girl without the rec. Sure, it happens that PNMs without recs get bids even at top chapters at competitive schools, but no one should count on being that lucky.

There is actually some NPC policy that requires Campus Panhellenics to de-emphasize the importance of recs. They are doing a huge disservice to PNMs from areas where Greek life is not as big and few understand the importance of recs (like a Northern girl at an SEC school).

My guess as to the reasons for this policy is that recs, a "get to know you" tool, can be interpreted as a "who you know" game, and that recruitment should be about who you are rather than who you know.

It also sounds ridiculous to me how Panhellenic can say "you won't be penalized" for not having a rec. Panhellenic can mandate how many women a chapter may invite back, but they can't tell a chapter how to choose those women. Sounds like a flat out lie to me.