View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

i know a lot of sororities require a C+ GPA to be considered for membership & a lot of schools require one to have a 2.5 (like everyone else said) in order to register. some schools are higher, some are lower...it all depends.

having a low GPA definitely limits which house you're able to become a new member at.

i was in your same situation. my first semester of college was one of the hardest times of my life. it was my first time being away from home, i had a terrible roommate, a horrible situation with a boy (i know i shouldn't allow it to screw with me, but it did!), & to top it off, my grandma ended up passing away after a sudden stroke. i only managed a 2.0, which did not reflect my intelligence or my ability in the slightest bit (i was in the top 10% of my high school class). i ended up getting a 3.6 GPA my second semester & that only brought my GPA up to a little over a 2.6. so, to even begin to bring your GPA up (since you're on academic probation i assume your GPA is under a 2.0), you'll have to get way higher than a 2.3.

some schools are changing their system to allow anyone, regardless of GPA, to register for recruitment and to leave it up to the chapters. for example, at IU someone can write an excuse to why their grades aren't higher (i.e. death...or you had an extremely hard class that brought down your GPA) but that didn't even help me much.

granted, your education is the reason why you're in college...not for the greek life or activities. buckle down & raise your grades first, then think about recruitment. after all, future employers will look at your GPA & if you're competing with someone that had a higher GPA, they'll probably get chosen over you.

a way to start fresh is to transfer schools. i did, so i didn't have a GPA. i went through recruitment right away & couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

good luck!