View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

They had something like that at Arkansas when I rushed...quota was different at each sorority and it was set by how many actual bed spaces each house had left. It left hundreds of girls unbid. Everyone knew that adding more sororities wouldn't work because the Greek system at Arkansas is quite old--several of the sororities have been there for more than a hundred years--and if the girls didn't get 1 of those 5, forget it, they weren't going Greek. That didn't help the big sororities, the small ones, or the PNMs. In the South at old-system campuses, it just won't work to say "if they can't pledge the Big 4 or 5, etc., then they'll just have to pledge XYZ!"

Because... it won't work and the Greek system will miss out on many outstanding women. I feel the pain of the smaller groups. It's just that I've watched rush in the South for 30 years and I've observed various attempts by Panhellenic to entice the rushees into pledging groups they wouldn't have considered before rush started. Honest to heaven, the only thing I have seen work is a huge increase in PNMs, like they've had the last few years at UGa and Auburn. That'll get a smaller sorority up to size faster than anything.

Let me note that I'm not saying that a sorority can't do anything to increase its numbers. What I'm saying is that I personally have never seen an attempt by Panhellenic to increase the smaller sororities' size be successful.