Thread: Rock Bottom?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

I advise a chapter at a smaller FSL system, but I don't really see much of what the Blog states impacting our chapter in any meaningful way. I don't really buy much into the generational blaming thing. In my 2 decades since initiation, I can't say that our younger students are any more conflict averse and indecisive than we were 20 years ago. In fact, a self-critical look back to when I was an undergrad officer, I can think of quite a few times I regret not being more decisive in my governance roles and I can't point to any sort of increasing deficiency in that area.

While I've seen our initiates be essentially the same, institutional changes have taken a toll. In the last 5 years or so, I think we have become greatly more cognizant of sexual assault. I think that's a positive change. I

Over the last 20 or so years, while I haven't seen any change at all in problematic drinking behavior, institutions seem to be cracking down on social drinking of underage members. I think that's going to have some negative unintended consequences in the long run.

I don't see the politics and polarization at all though. Right this minute, our chapter is as diverse as it's ever been. No one cares about political affiliations and leanings. Allowing your chapter to become polarized towards one extreme or the other is eventually going to lead to a pretty toxic culture no one will want to buy into.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma