View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not in this organization, but:

Any fraternal/sororal organization needs to have a service area--a place defined by political boundaries that they can commit to serving. The benefits to having a well-defined service area are numerous, but my top two reasons are convenience for members and generating a positive reputation for the org.

Scenario #1: The group charters with 7 or 8 women, five from Charlotte proper, one from Concord, one from Gastonia, and one from Hickory Grove, SC. If they always meet in Charlotte, some of the sisters will always have to travel and will eventually resent it.

Scenario #2: Say the group decides to travel from place to place in rotation. Well, there are only 7 or 8 of them still. While it would be great for the group to have a strong presence with only one member in a town, that's not likely.

For some reason, there is an inclination for new groups to be as inclusive as possible. This is a mistake. Narrowing the focus on the smallest possible political designation allows the group to have meaningful relationships with community partners, school systems, and even potential community foundations.

I am sure this group will take any qualified members who are committed to making the drive, but their decision to focus on this county is standard and reasonable.

Also, I am familiar with the expansion of another business sorority in that area and they have several chapters spread out down there as well.

Not that she owes either of us an explanation.