View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Our chapter was very sensible about it.. we've done unwinding yarn and such. The only real annoyance was the fun scavenger hunts we did (where everyone participated) they became "everyone goes and takes pictures of different things and we all meet at Ted Drewes" events instead.
My APO chapter changed our "scavenger hunts" to something similar....and even now, I believe they are on the road to evolving further. Instead of giving pledges clues and saying go find.....(random object) I think we will just make it a self guided tour of the things we'd like for them to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
No.

It is my organization's responsibility to keep over 900 chapters and over 200K members in check. They are doing what they need to do to account for every contingency that they can account for beforehand.
Ditto with APhiA. I am not one of those MIP-haters. (Membership Intake Process, as opposed to pledging) If a chapter is SERIOUS about both member selection and MIP, it can be a very, VERY beautiful and moving experience.

Also, Alpha has not done away with a lot of the things that make BGLOs unique that some see as a risk management issue. We still allow neophyte shows, line names, and other accoutrements of the "old" process. We gave them new meanings, though. Obviously they aren't "pledge" names but they are still names we give out based on personality and other experiences.

I just hate that some BGLOs are legislating and abolishing ALL aspects of "the old way." Some things aren't a risk issue if you change the meaning.

Like my APO chapter.....about 15 years ago, we got in trouble for lewd nicknames. They didn't make us stop nicknaming all together, they just told us to clean it up. And we did.....