View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Michigan is pretty much like Louisiana as far as taking a ticket and waiting. Near closing time, they start pulling together queues for different things. If you're ONLY renewing your driver's license, or ONLY license plate renewal, etc. You get your original ID with the corner cut off and void stamped on it and they staple a paper to it. This last birthday, I flew to Baltimore the day after I was at the DMV. The TSA in Detroit were cool with this makeshift ID but the TSA in Baltimore was eyeballing me like I was doing something sketchy. She said "Are you going home with this? or on your way out to somewhere?" I said I was going home and she said "Good, I don't know if everybody would let you through with this". Oy.
I had a similar issue with getting served a drink in Maryland with a cut-off corner Michigan driver's license. In Maryland, they produce your new ID on the spot at the DMV. I explained the Michigan process of license renewal to the server, who gave me the same "sketchy, suspicious" demeanor, then asked to see the manager, who approved my drink.

It wasn't that I wanted the drink that badly; it really just the principle of the whole thing and that my weird ID was really still the official ID when you're waiting for your new one to come in the mail a few weeks later.

It's like when you hold up your hand to show where you are from in Michigan -- it seems so obvious. Why don't non-Michiganders get that?

BTW, does everyone in the Detroit area still explain where they live by stating the nearest mile-marker intersection, as in "12 mile and Telegraph?"