View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
I think giving the chapter information regarding extenuating circumstances that may have negatively influenced the GPA is helpful to the chapter (a PNM might even receive some accommodations from the school for a learning disability). I would imagine, however, that a no rec would likely eliminate the PNM from consideration (assuming the chapter needs a recommendation for membership).

Otherwise, the GPA and (final) official transcript would be have been submitted to the school for use in verification anyway, and the chapters can use these to make decisions about grades.

I do agree that it is a good idea for girls to understand the obstacle that a poor GPA may present during recruitment. This wouldn’t be the same as sending a *warning* rec on a girl that one heard is not “morally acceptable,” for instance. I doubt an alum would want to explain that to a PNM who asked for a recommendation.
I agree about the warning rec. I don't usually know any dirt about girls of that age group to be able to send that type of rec. AOII doesn't require recs for membership, however, a no-rec with specific amoral specifics would be a kiss of death, I'm quite sure. I know we've had this discussion before about whether or not to no-rec. IMHO, if I for certain knew information that I morally felt disqualified a woman from membership, I would no-rec someone in a heartbeat. My loyalty is to AOII. I, of course, have really liberal views, so you'd have had to kill someone to shock me (not really that bad, but you get the picture.)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!