View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Ok....so now I turn to AST. I get it. Some of the women want to send a message that they are not ok with that state's decision. As other posters here have already pointed out:

- some sisters might *agree* with the state measure and, thus, the petitioners wouldn't speak for everyone

- if finances have already been committed, you would be hurting the organization

- we could always find something to protest about in any state we go to. (Please see California's list of 8 banned states for other places for AST to avoid for conventions. Unless, of course, AST is ok with anti-LGBT policies.)

And then there's this -- forgive me, but I doubt that "Georgia" is going to cry over losing the AST Convention. I get it, I get it....."if we all join in and refuse to support, then it will eventually hurt Georgia in the pocketbook." Ok; but, again, give me any state in the union and I am sure I can find a reason for you to not go there.
No offense taken to the bold! Financially, this would hurt AST more than it would hurt Georgia.

As I mentioned, there are companies and organizations with a lot more money than us that are pulling out of the state and refusing to do business there. For example, this story just hit the news yesterday: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/a...ry?id=63188842

AST is not Amazon, nor do we have Amazon money, and we certainly wouldn't make the national news if we moved our Convention. However, I think stories like this are where some people get the idea and motivation to also try and make a large statement.

I'm sure people have their own reasons for signing the petition, but I wonder if it's more so "Let's hurt them where it counts" or "We're a women's organization and should not force sisters to travel to a state where they may feel their rights are being trampled". Perhaps it's a little of both. But as has been stated, not everyone is going to be happy either way.

Interestingly, I'm a very involved alumna and a national volunteer, and Convention didn't even cross my mind when I heard about all of this legislation being passed.

@~/~~~~