View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did you find this? With school out for spring break this week I hadn't heard anything in a couple days.
How did you get to read the final report?
I figured it woudl be a bunch of BS, telling us stuff that WE as greeks already know but they as admin never bothered to know.

The NPHC groups on campus really are very small... which I never figured out. Maybe because our Black Action Society is VERY large and very active.

I think it would be great if NPHC groups got housing as well, but with the low numbers they wouldn't really be able to financially support it. The sororities on campus are solely responsible for their suites, which means we get the short end of the stick sometimes. Pitt is responsible for the structure, and the bedrooms/bathrooms, but the sorority is responsible for everything else. Furniture in the common rooms, the kitchen (our refridgerator went last year, and we had to buy a new one! We didn't even know that was our responsibility). We pay just as much to live in the suites as non-greeks do to live in the other suites, but we actually get less- those suites are furnished and taken care of by the school- if their fridge goes, they get it replaced )

While suites are less costly than houses, they still cost a lot of money to keep up. Currently in Amos (the sorority hall), each floor holds somewhere between 15-17 people. If the sorority can't fill the suite, housing puts Independents in. This usually doesn't go over too well with either the sorority or the person housing puts there.
Greek life at Pitt can definately afford to get it's numbers up, but it's looking like we're getting there. Numbers are definately up this year. Fire 1977- do you know what the numbers are like after spring rush? I wonder what houses are losing a lot of seniors. I think this fall's rush is going to turn out to be an important one. I'd really like the see the 5 houses who have always been under total (since i've been there) get their numbers up- some are definately trying, however I think that there's at least one who doesn't really care. Not going to name names, even though I know they don't have anybody on GC.