View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
They probably have been described as most popular, even if the word tier wasn't used.

This doesn't crop up for guys, though, does it? When I think of my own alma mater, the composition of fraternities seemed to be based more on common denominators such as being on the same teams or just being a bunch of similar guys who liked hanging out with each other, not what other people thought of them.
Maybe it's just my campus, but the fraternities here bash each other waaaay more than the sororities do. They're really competitive about creating "tiers" and hating on certain groups. There are basically a few "top tier" groups that throw the biggest parties, a bunch of "middle tier" groups that are pretty diverse and tend to attract guys based on who actually gets along best, and a few "bottom tier" groups that tend to be new, small and/or not have a specific sports team associated with them. We have a fraternity colonizing right now and the other fraternity guys are just vicious in degrading them... it's very catty and low, in my opinion. I think they're just worried they'll steal pledges from them and they think bashing them is the best way to maintain their position.