Thread: West Coast
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2000, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Shelacious verbalized the issue with BGLOs on the Left Coast very well.

I'd like to add that often times the deal with having smaller lines is not necessarily viewed as a problem by people on in this area. I know that at my informationals and ruches there tended to be a large number of women showing interest, then of course not all are eligible for membership. But not having a line of 90 and having a line of 9 is not viewed as much of a problem. Perhaps we are just used to it, fortunately or unfortunately.

Also, because these schools tend to be PWIs (as seen on many of the previous threads on this board) many Black women and men have other choices of what to pledge or not to pledge. You cannot pledge Tri-Delt at Spelman...you just can't. In other areas of the US, Black greek affiliation is deeply woven into the fabric of everyday life. You can't drive down the street for two seconds without seeing a license plate/sticker/someone wearing'nalia, etc. High schools, etc., have greek-like organizations so by the time young adults get to college they are READY!!!

My boyfriend was astounded (he's from Memphis, went to Morehouse, is an Alpha) at how many African Americans he meets out here who are NOT in BGLOs. That is simply unheard of where he is from. It is commonplace to me because I am from here and attended school out here.