View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 06:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
I spent 3 years teaching at an HBCU, and that particular school started recruiting heavily to white males who were baseball players and white females who were either softball or volleyball players and offered them athletic scholarships. For most of these students, they were recruited from the local community colleges, or were picked up at a college recruitment night. Even though these students were in the minority, most adapted very easily to campus, made friends, and joined organziations. They didn't see it as a racial issue; they were excited to have found a school who picked them up and offered to pay for their education--which they might not have gotten as a transfer student to a larger university.

When I was considering going back for my Ph.D, several of my colleagues encouraged me to look at enrolling in an HBCU because of the likelihood of more financial aid, etc. I've seen several professionals who went to an HBCU as a minority and got very large scholarship packages, etc. There was one case at a school in Alabama where a young man who was white got a full scholarship to an HBCU, and eventually ended up as SGA president as well.

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida