View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I did that once a few years ago when I was considering a career change. I left a comfortable corporate position for a very different entry level type position so that I could try it on for size. I took a huge pay cut. It worked out well in the end, as I discovered I liked that field, but I won't lie and say the money issue didn't arise.

The problem for me was that I ended up not liking my boss, and the fact that I was making (relatively) little money made me a bit resentful. I think I got annoyed by things more than I would have if it hadn't been for the pay. I definitely got annoyed when my boss expected me to do work outside of normal hours. I guess she asked that of people in the position previously, but all I could ever think about in those situations was how little money I was getting and how I was worth more than she was willing to pay me.

(All that being said, I really don't think I would have had an issue with the money if I hadn't had an awful boss. Or had she not failed to tell me until after I was already working for her that she considered me a "salaried" employee (even though I definitely wasn't) and so refused to pay me overtime. With a normal boss or a non-cheapskate boss, I would have been fine.)

Good luck, whatever you decide! As I said, although that particular job wasn't great, it did work out well in the end.