View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind I'm just one person and these are my observations, but I'm in the south and know lots of guys (through my sons and my friends' children) who have gone through fraternity recruitment. Based on what I've seen, your sophomore standing should not be a problem. Remember, unlike sororities, fraternities don't have "quotas" and "chapter totals"...if they like 50 men, they can bid 50 men.

I personally know quite a few guys who have pledged as sophomores at non-SEC southern schools such as Georgia Southern. Heck, I know some who have been sophomore pledges in the SEC. I know two sophomores who pledged fraternities at Auburn this past fall, and one at UGA. Also know of two juniors who pledged at Tennessee in 2012 and a sophomore who pledged at Ole Miss in 2011...so even in the SEC, fraternity membership does not appear to be closed off to non-freshmen.

Granted, there will always be more freshmen in pledge classes, but I think you'll be good to go. Fraternities are looking for guys they think will fit in and make good brothers, so give it your best and look for fraternities that seem to be the best fit for you -- but don't put all your bid hopes into one. Check out several. All the best to you!

Last edited by greekdee; 04-23-2013 at 10:54 AM.