View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
Sorry, fantASTic, I call bullshit on you. I can only speak for UNC and Bowie State (two schools I went to), and there were sexual assualts at both campuses, many of which went unreported. So I disagree with you. I never claimed that statistic. And seeing how I was a victim of an assault, I disagree with your statement that college women are the safest group of women in the world.

I don't think anyone is fearmongering, just discussing what they've seen on their own campuses.

But tomayto, tomahto.
I'm sorry to hear that.

But I don't see anything there that goes against what myself and others are claiming. There are sexual assaults literally everywhere. Hospitals, churches, schools, colleges, towns, cities, everywhere. And the simple fact that sexual assaults do occasionally happen on college campuses is not sufficient to prove that colleges aren't safer than just being out in the public as a whole.

ETA: And on the point you and fantASTic are arguing about, the simple fact that you know of sexual assaults that have happened on campus doesn't mean that "sexual assaults are very common on most campuses" (which is word for word what you claimed). No one is denying that they occur, but they certainly aren't a common occurrence, the kind which will inevitably happen to someone if they aren't careful. That's what some people here are saying and implying, and fear-mongering seems like a pretty good description for what's going on.

Last edited by CrackerBarrel; 08-18-2008 at 03:11 PM.