View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to elldawg
I saw the light!

After transfering from one PWI to another after 3 years of college, I found myself to be a bit of an outsider. I was never into parties, and I didn't have any friends in the area. I decided to become a member of Black United Students (BUS). As I worked with BUS I discovered that very little happened in terms of black-sponsored events without the participation of the NPHC greeks. Unfortunately, none of the CHAPTERS were doing much.

I got a little frustrated, so I submitted an editorial to the campus newspaper addressed to the NPHC greeks. I wanted them to understand the power they had on campus, and I couldn't understand why they weren't doing more with it. Nothing really happened afterward. Still frustrated, I decided I had to see why these greeks had so much clout. I went to the Greek Forum, an event where all of the NPHC orgs presented themselves and their respective orgs. Then each group gets a break-out room and all of the orgs get to speak to the interests in private. Of course their were introductions in each room, and in each room, they recognized my name from the editorial. Apparently most of them were pissed and had discussed it at length, including the Sigmas. I remember walking into the Sigmas room and this 300+ lb. brother was looking at me kinda crazy and he said, "I'm surprised you would even show up here."

I was leaving the event pretty much thinking that I had wasted my time. As I was leaving, this brother came up to me and started talking to me about my article. Our converstion led to us discussing all kinds of things, including his frustrations with greek life, and campus life in general. He talked about his experiences and accomplishments on campus, including being Homecoming King. I thought it was pretty impressive for a brother to be elected homecoming king at this PWI and still be the kind of brother that is well connected to the black folks on campus. Needless to say that Tierney Bates was then, and is now a mentor for me. He introduced me to Sigma and the men of Iota Beta chapter. I was subsequesntly initiated into Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and have not looked back since. (Except to shine the light on brothers coming behind me!)