View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
In my experience, chapters that are VERY small (under 15) tend to be not close at all...and this is why they are small. In what I've seen, the lack of closeness contributes greatly to the low numbers because they can't recruit.
Or it can be the other side of the coin - they're SO close and SO up each others' butts and to the left that during rush, they don't find it necessary to reach out to new people. At some point, you have to give a bid to someone you didn't know before rush, or you'll die out.

I would prefer a Greek system with smaller chapters, but more of them, just because that's what I'm used to. I would not have joined at a school with large chapters like Ole Miss. I would rather have 15 chapters with 60 people each than 5 chapters with 180 people each.

As far as "strength" I think percentage is more important than actual numbers of members or chapters. A place like DePauw undoubtedly has fewer Greek members than some of the Big 10 or Big 12 schools, but the percentage is much higher. I think the number of chapters depends on the location and the school - the school will have as many chapters as the market will bear. But if you have above 50% of the students going Greek, that's a strong system, whether it's at a school of 500 or 50,000, whether there are 3 chapters or 30.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-17-2008 at 12:10 PM.