View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter had a rough 10th grade year, which pulled her GPA down significantly.....and I do understand that with 1500 young women going through recruitment, there has to be a method of reducing numbers....the sizes of these pledge classes is crazy!!!! At a WAY smaller college, we had 25 in mine, which was awesome, as I really felt like I got to know each one............but! This has just been such a big shock. When she went to the Tri Delt house on Open House day, she called me afterward and said, "This is it, Mom, I could tell they had done their homework, (read her recs) they knew all about me, and they knew I love St. Judes! I talked to 14 girls and they made me feel so comfortable. I loved them!" Then she was dropped. After being asked if her mom was coming to Bid Day, telling her how much fun they have, etc. I know it had to be a grade drop........but to an 18 year old freshman, this is just so devastating......she actually loved all the sororities and only felt that 2 or 3 might not be a good fit for her personally. I just can't believe that she isn't going to have this as part of her college experience.
I would also say that we are not from Alabama and my child did not know anyone going in....but geez, is this not part of the point? Getting to know new friends? I will stop whining.........I'm just still in shock and devastated for my baby.