Thread: My AI adventure
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovypq View Post
Well, I don't know. I'm a general adviser, and I'm an AI. I always joke that those poor girls had no one else, so they got stuck with me. :-) I think my connections at the university (I was a part-time, later full-time employee) and in my fields (communications and coaching) gave me some perspectives that helped the chapter. But it really was a case of there not being alumnae in the area to serve.

I also had connections to the chapter - my sister was a former treasurer and president, and at the time I was asked, I was coaching one of the sisters. It was at my alma mater, so I was familiar with the chapter as well.
That's a WHOLE different matter than AIing Susie the manager at Hot Topic in Hilo because OMG WE HAZ NO ALUMZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
You forgot 3) has the time/inclination to fulfill the role. Yes, we help women in their careers, but that doesn't always lead to the right alumna in the right place at the right time. I've been active when I could, but when I had small children and was going to graduate school I had to step back. It didn't matter that I was qualified - I couldn't fulfill the role anymore.
With all due respect, I'm sure there were other sisters nearby who could have done a good job too.