Thread: My AI adventure
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I became a Tri Delta initiated as an AI almost 8 years ago. Although I wasn’t a “typical” AI prospect (i.e. I wasn’t a legacy, didn’t have family ties, etc.), I had rushed as an undergraduate and made it through Preference Rounds at Tri Delta and another very nationally-known sorority on campus. I ended up dropping out of recruitment after Preference because I got cold feet about making such a big commitment at the time. I eventually transferred from that campus as well.

I always wondered “What if?” and regretted losing out on a potential Tri Delta membership. About 10 years later I had moved to a new city, and the strangest thing started happening. When I would meet new people and talk would turn to college Greek affiliations, I would always say I was “almost a Tri Delt.” And I kept hearing over and over, “Oh yeah! I can see that. You’re just like the Tri Delts on my campus.” I took it as a compliment.

As luck would have it, a new Tri Delta colony was organizing on a campus in my city. With the “like a Tri Delt” comments and warm memories of the Tri Deltas I had met as an undergrad, I contacted Tri Delta’s Executive Office and offered to volunteer in any capacity to help them launch the new chapter. I was told that since I was not a member, helping out in any way was not an option.

Long story short: I learned about AI (or Honor Initiation as it’s referred to in Tri Delta), and the rest is history. But it wasn’t easy and it took a long time (years). What kept me going is that I “knew” that was the organization for me. I never pursued any other group, even the other group I had attended Preference at.

My point is this, and comes from my perspective as a result of my AI journey: I think if you’re going to “pursue” (I had that word) AI, it should be because you have some special connection to the people you know or have met in that group. Not because of their work with a particular philanthropy, not because their creed really spoke to you, etc. In my case, I felt immediately at home with the Tri Deltas I met as an undergrad. I continued to click with those I met and talked with on a national level. And apparently, complete strangers “recognized” me as a Tri Delta even when I wasn’t. THAT is what AI should be about, even if you’re “pursuing” it. It’s so hard to describe because it’s very intangible...almost spiritual.

I read a quote somewhere- maybe on Greekchat - that describes my situation completely: “Being a [insert group here] is not something you become, it’s something you already are.” And that was so true for me. Prior to my initiation, EO sent me some materials that would give me a background on the history and background of Tri Delta to prepare for initiation, and I literally got chills. Some of the material written by one of our founders could’ve been written by me! So I knew I was home, and that I always had been.

Good luck!