View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Besides, mentioning that your aunt is a sorority alumna shows that you have knowledge about what Greek life entails.
You know, we always used to look at this. I originally came from a school with a small Greek life where people tended to transfer or leave school after a year or two. Then when you add in the women who didn't know what they were getting into, retention wasn't always a high percentage - across the board. So we considered it a "plus" that a PNM had Greek family members. It showed that they had at least a fundamental introduction to sorority life and probably were aware that it was more than just a club.

OP - there will be a place on your application to list family relationships to sororities. There has been much discussion over whether listing these relationships helps or hurts. (Hurts in that there is a possibility that some chapters will release you because they assume that you want to pledge the relative's sorority.) I can see both sides of the argument, and without knowing you or your school cannot give an opinion on your situation.

So I agree with the above posters when they say to get a rec from your Aunt. And be sure to get recs to all the other chapters too. Since you have a year and a half of HS left, you have plenty of time to build up that resume, gain leadership experience, make good grades, and have fun!