View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Just last week I vounteered at a Junior Achievement event that was amazing! Junior Achievement is an organization that works with kids (of varying ages) to teach them some real-world lessons about the economy. Previous JA opportunities intimidated me because it involved mentoring students in developing and marketing a product --- quite a long term commitment that I was not ready to make.

But Phoenix has an incredible new Junior Achievement facility that models a little town. They bring in kids (we worked with 6th graders) to run the little "businesses" in JABiztown. There is an entire set of scripted tasks that the student citizens of JABiztown work through, which teach them how to balance a checkbook and pay back a business loan.

It was a BLAST, for both the students and the adult volunteers and would be the perfect kind of thing for a sorority to participate in. I think this is a new facet of Junior Achievement across the nation, so check in your area if you are in a major metropolitan area.