View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
Wrap you slim: It is a process where they soak 'ace bandages' in an enzyme based solution then 'wrap you up'. The enzymes are supposed to promote detoxification of impurities and 'rearrange fat cells'. All of this is supposed to result in lost inches ranging from 6-20 inches in a 1 hour session. Session will cost $110.

Just curious if anyone else has done this? I am thinking about making an appointment, but I wonder which is more worthwhile, wrapping or getting a colonic in 'detoxing' to promote weightloss. All of this, of course, in tandem with a healthier diet and exercise.
Colonics:

1. It's a myth that doing colonics "cleans out" toxins in your digestive system. Your liver is responsible for taking toxins out of your body, as are the good bacteria in your intestines.

2. Frequent "irrigation" can take away that good bacteria.

3. Even if the practice DID work, the liquid doesn't go up far enough into the digestive tract to reach anywhere but the first foot or so.

4. If you feel "impacted" or your stools are sluggish, colonics might help in the case of providing extra fluid in the final part of your colon, but otherwise (a la an enema), but bowel sluggishness is much better treated orally via proper hydration, eating a balanced diet with enough fiber (but not too much), good fats and protein, increasing your level of general activity, addressing medications that dehydrate you, etc. Enemas and the like should be last-resort in terms of fixing a slow bowel. There are some gentle medications (not harsh laxatives) that encourage a slow bowel - they work by adding more water to the GI system.

Enzyme Wrap: the "detoxing" your body is just pulling water out of it. I'm not sure what else besides water is supposed to come out of your skin by wearing a wrap.

Weight loss:

Any weight "lost" during those wraps or "cleanses" are only temporarily pulling excess water out of your system.

There is no secret formula to weight loss. It's a matter of calories in < calories spent.

Now, there are plenty of things that can disrupt your metabolism - sedentary work (sitting at a desk all day, like many professional jobs or driving all day), not keeping track of what you eat (most people tend to underestimate the number of calories they've eaten by about 20 percent!), age, hormones, stress, foods eaten, nutrient deficiencies, disease, ability to exercise, side effects from medications, etc.

And let me also say that it's not easy to lose weigh in the ultra convenience that life in the 21st century affords. Fast food is cheap and easy. Shopping weekly and using fresh food and produce is a huge time commitment and often a financial issue. Most of us work way too much and have too many other responsibility. Many have children, and some have sick family members they need to care for.

If you really want to lose weight, talk to your doctor, make an appointment with a nutritionist. Make yourself a priority - schedule some time to plan balanced meals, make appointments for you to do some activity (even 20 minute walk a few days per week is better than nothing!).

All of my suggestions come from years dealing with medical issues. I hope that I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, it's just that CF has kept me under constant medical care and having to learn a lot about the human body. Good luck.

PS Use that money to go to a spa for something that is relaxing and indulgent. Focus on your mental and emotional needs. Remember that if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of others.