View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day!
I woke up even more excited today than I had the day before, even though I knew I was probably going to be cut by some of the houses that I had enjoyed visiting. I anxiously waited for my schedule, eventually finding out that I had been invited back to:
Nancy Drew
Laura Ingalls
Fern Arable
Anne Shirley
Ramona Quimby
A FULL SCHEDULE! I could hardly contain my shock. I had honestly prepared myself for the worst, not the best, so now that it was staring me in the face I wasn’t sure how to react. I was a tiny bit disappointed that I wasn’t going to get to visit the Jo March sisters again, but I quickly became even more ecstatic to learn about each house’s charity!

Nancy Drew: I spoke with a new girl today about how their philanthropy had affected my family, and it turns out that someone close to her had also dealt with what this chapter’s philanthropy is dedicated to! It was really nice to speak with someone about something we both understood and had experienced, and I know that it would be easy for me to do passionate work for this chapter’s cause. The second girl that I talked to wasn’t quite as enthusiastic and honestly didn’t seem to have much to say about her sorority’s philanthropy at all. It was a bit strange.
Laura Ingalls: I’ve always admired the work that this chapter does, and it was so amazing to finally be able to see all of the hard work they’ve already put in this year. I could tell that the first girl I spoke with wasn’t totally knowledgeable when it came to the specifics of their work as a chapter, so that was a little off-putting. The second girl I spoke with had a really wonderful personal connection to the organization, and hearing her story almost brought tears to my eyes. I would LOVE to work with this chapter’s cause.
Fern Arable: It was SO amazing to see how much this chapter does for their philanthropy. They boasted an incredibly high fundraising number, and I can only imagine all of the good that was able to be done with the money they donated. I could truly tell how passionate the women of this chapter were towards their cause, and both of the actives I spoke with were so genuine. I don’t have any personal experience with this philanthropy, but it is something I would definitely be proud to be a part of.
Anne Shirley: I went in curious about this chapter’s philanthropic work, as it isn’t quite as well known as some of the other chapters. After watching the video and hearing the testimonials of a few of the sisters in this chapter, I can tell that what they do really does make a difference. My conversations were just okay here today though. I wasn’t feeling that spark that I had had with a couple of the other chapters.
Ramona Quimby: This chapter’s philanthropy was another questionable one for me, but once again I felt I fully understood after the presentation. This chapter is a lot more involved than I ever even realized, and I truly admire the amount of time they put forth to help those in their community. I spoke with one girl who was incredibly sweet and had the same kind of cat as me, so it was fun to talk about how much we both missed our kitties. My opinion of this chapter has greatly improved after this round.

I didn’t feel as nervous to rank today, although I’m sure I should’ve been. I had honestly had such a wonderful time at each house that I knew I would be truly happy with whoever asked me back. Still, I ranked the houses as:
Fern Arable
Laura Ingalls
Ramona Quimby
Nancy Drew
Anne Shirley

It felt guilty placing both of my legacy chapters so far down the list. However, I know in my heart that I am making the right choice. We can only attend up to two preference parties tomorrow. That makes me a little nervous, but I know that whatever happens will be meant to be. With all of the nerves I have bouncing around in my system I hope I can get some sleep tonight!