View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

More teambuilding RA stuff

Yes, I am a nerd.. even though I knew I would never be an RA again I kept my stuff *just in case* Here are a couple more team-building activities I found, some of them are kind of corny, but oh well! :

KEEP IT UP: The players form two or more teams with 10-12 players on a team. Each team gets into a circle. Each teams is given a volleyball (or similar type ball of any size). The players attempt to keep their ball in the air the longest. When a team wins, they get a point. The team with the most points, wins. Do not allow players to catch the ball during play. NOTE: To vary, change the way of scoring...say the all must be hit in the order of the participants in the circle.

MACHINE GAME: The object of this game is to create a machine out of a group of people (i.e. ceiling fan, hot air balloon, watch, etc.). You might want to split your group into two or three smaller groups. Each person is required to be accountable for one noise and one motion of the machine. The group members should then put their motions and sounds together to create the machine. Give each group about 5 minutes to work together and prepare, and then have the groups present to everyone. Ask the other groups to guess what machine the group is.

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS: All participants are given a bag with pennies (each participant should have one penny for each member in the group - if there are 20 people, players each should have 20 pennies). Participants go around the room to each other and trade “a penny for a thought.” Participants trade pennies - and positive thoughts about what they think of one another. Activity continues until all participants have shared with every member of the group and have a new bag of “pennies for thoughts.”

PIECE OF THE PUZZLE: Facilitator should cut a puzzle out of poster paper ahead of time. (There should be one piece for each member of the group.) Have participants decorate their piece to represent who they are and what they feel they can contribute to the group. Once participants are done, have them share what they have on their piece. Participants should them assemble the puzzle. Facilitator should initiate a discussion on the power of everyone coming together, how much more of an impact a put together puzzle can have, than separate pieces, and how a final product could not be reached without a contribution from every piece of the puzzle.

And of course the Chalkboard or Whiteboard draw: Divide everyone into teams of equal size. All group members are standing in a line facing the chalkboard/whiteboard. The facilitator should have simple drawings (for example: a sun, a moon, a house..etc .. you can also try fraternity/sorority symbols) already on pieces of paper. From each team, a team leader is selected. Each team leader gets a different piece of paper containing a finished drawing and "draws" the same picture on the back of the last person in their team line. Each person then "draws" the picture on the back of the next person, and so on, until it is at t he first person in the line. The first person in the line runs up to the chalkboard/whiteboard and draws (on the board) what he/she believes is the picture. Then when all the teams are done, you can compare how much the original picture is to the picture the team "drew".

If I didn't make any sense in these, let me know, and I'll try to clarify!