View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference round is finally here!! I was so happy that I was so close to being part of a new family. I felt really good about the top two houses that I had ranked as my number 1, so I couldn’t wait to see them both today!

I walked as fast as I could to my counselor and when I opened up my schedule, it said:

Rachel

Janice

I couldn't believe it. Where was Chandler??? I was so devastated. Why did I not get invited back? We were just hysterically laughing yesterday and having the time of our lives. I thought they liked me. Why didn’t the girls want me back? Did I do something wrong? Was this some horrible mistake? I stood there in shock for a good 5 or 6 minutes with all these questions racing through my head. My Rho Gamma tried comforting me and told me that sometimes even though a house might really like a girl, it just doesn’t always work out for various reasons. I still couldn’t wrap my head around what had gone wrong. I was so mad at myself for setting my heart on one house and failing to keep a truly open mind. Now, I felt like I had to start all over again since Chandler wasn’t in the picture anymore.

I tried shaking off my nerves and I put on a big smile and went over to Janice, which was my first party of the day. I felt terrible when I got there because all the girls who I had talked to the previous days were all so excited to see me and were giving me hugs, and even though I tried to show them that I was excited to be back, I still felt like I wasn’t giving myself 100%. It wasn’t fair of me to do that, and I did feel bad about that after I had left. However, the plus side is that I enjoyed their preference ceremony a lot and I thought that it was amazing how every girl in the sorority knew the words to all the songs and some girls were hugging each other. Some of the seniors were crying because this was their last preference round. Some of the girls rushing were crying too because it really was beautiful. I left the house feeling better, but not completely okay yet. I was glad I was going to Rachel next because I actually really liked them these past few days.

When I got to Rachel, I immediately got paired with the girl who was from my home state and she took me to a room. She didn’t stay for very long, but I was so happy to see a familiar face that was so welcoming. The next girl that came in was someone I had really felt a connection with. She read me the creed of the sorority, and it really hit home. I told her about how I missed home so much sometimes and how this creed really meant so much to me because it really embodies all the values I’ve learned growing up, so this was such a nice reminder of home for me. I think I may have shed a tear or two, but she said that she thought it was really great of me to open up to her like that, which I appreciated. Their ceremony was amazing too. A couple of girls wrote a letter telling us about their unique experience with Rachel and how it had always been home to them even through trying times. I knew in that moment that this was what I had wanted all along.

After thinking about it, I realized that even though Chandler had made me super happy, I could never have imagined it being a true home to me. I loved the connections I’ve made there, but maybe I wasn’t the best fit for that house. Rachel was where I wanted to be, and I only just realized it then. Ranking was easy, and I hoped and prayed that I would get my first choice.

My number 1 was Rachel, and I put Janice as my number two.

Later that night, we all went down to receive our bids. I was so nervous I didn’t even want to go for fear that Rachel didn’t want me. I had already gotten rejected once, so I didn’t want to go through that again. I don’t know if I would have been able to handle it. All the Rho Gammas revealed which house they were in, and turns out that mine was a Monica!! I was super excited when I found that out. After the big reveal, we were able to go get our bid cards. Before I opened mine, I promised myself that I would be happy with whatever I ended up with, regardless if it was my number 1 or not. Then, with shaky hands and a pounding heart, I ripped open my bid envelope as fast as I could. I flipped my bid card over, only to see that I had received a bid from…

RACHEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also known as…

CHI OMEGA!!!!!!!

I was screaming and jumping up and down, and I ran over to where my new sisters were holding our letters as fast as I could. I was so happy to finally go home and to meet my sisters. These past few days, we have been doing a lot of social activities and getting-to-know-you stuff, and I’ve been having the time of my life. I had so much fun at the house on bid night. All my new sisters were so welcoming and I have never felt so loved in my life. I can’t wait to get back to daily life, but I know that it’ll be better than before because now I have a second family to always have my back, girls who have made this journey unforgettable and with whom I hope to make so many great memories with!!!! (I know that was super cheesy, but I am beyond in love with them!)

I am so excited for this journey and I am SO VERY happy that Chi O “got off the plane” for me!!