View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you active in your alumnae chapter? No - live too far away, but I try to get to a few things a year.
Are you an advisor? I was in the mid 90s for 4 years.
Are you part of a chapter's housing corp? Technically, any initiated sister is, but I am working with my undergraduate chapter on a special project.
Are you a regional/province/whatever officer? Yes - I'm a standing committee chair for the entire fraternity, so I report directly to our President and work hand in hand with IHQ staff and other volunteers on things that are directly related to my committee's charge. Prior to this role, I was a Province Director for 9 years and then served on the Ritual Committee for 2.
Are you a national officer of some sort? no
Something else? In Alpha Gam land we can be awarded the Honors of Epsilon Pi - given for faithful and continued service to the fraternity at any level. This honor is akin to a badge guard, and in fact takes the place of our chapter name guard once awarded. It starts with the Arc, which is given for 5 years of service, followed by the Arc with Diamond, Arc with Diamonds, Arc with Diamonds and Pearl, Arc with Diamonds and Pearls - each given for a minimum of 6 years service after the last Arc received [so if you wear the Arc with Diamonds and Pearls, you have been volunteering for at least 29 years]. I currently wear the Arc with Diamond, which means I have at least 11 consecutive years volunteer service since graduation [I actually have 18 years - amazing!].

Some of my dearest friends I have met through this service to the fraternity [including AGDee!] and there's no way I could have known in college that I would still be doing this now, nor how these skills that I've learned would help me in my day to day life. While I thoroughly enjoyed my collegiate years, I wouldn't trade my alumnae service for anything.