View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal026 View Post
My fiance did - and they were very clear that they didn't feel that the wedding I envisioned was going to be adequate for their family and friends, and that now that they got to pay for it, it was important that they host an affair that would be "good enough" for their side.

The reason I say that its too late to back out is because he actually asked - if we said "thank you so much for your offer, but we feel that this is not quite what we had hoped for, and rather than have you spend so much money on an event that isn't really 'us,' we think we'd like to go to the courthouse afterall." His father said that it would be a huge slap in the face to MIL and him, and wasn't really up for debate - they have people already planning on coming.

It sounds like something out of a terrible $.99 novel, lol - at this point, I just want to hurry up and get it over with.
I have a suggestion. It is RADICAL and really really impertinent.

GO TO THE COURTHOUSE BEFORE THE SCHEDULED DATE. Bring your witness and GET MARRIED THE WAY YOU WANT. You will have your way with your REAL anniversary the way you wanted it for the rest of your lives. Then you can do the "play acting" for the in-laws and it will take the stress off of you because the really important part (your marriage) is already taken care of.

Seriously, do it NOW. Don't tell anyone but your witnesses.